Strawberry Hibiscus Red Beet Mochi
Mochi is hands-down one of the best snacks to treat yourself. We're totally here for this Red Beet Hibiscus Mochi filled with a strawberry surrounded by a white bean paste and we’re hoping there's enough to go around! Suncore Foods® Red Beet and Fuchsia Hibiscus Supercolor Powders are used in this recipe to create this gorgeous baby pink mochi!
Recipe and photo by our brand ambassador Mei Yee. Check out her Instagram @nm_meiyee for more magnificent recipes!
1 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup cornstarch
12 fresh strawberries
2 tsp mix of Suncore Foods® Red Beet & Fuchsia Hibiscus Supercolour Powder (dissolve in 2 tsp water) .
2 canned white kidney beans (skin removed)
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp rice malt syrup
1. Press the beans with a spatula through a fine strain to get the smoothest texture.
2. Transfer the paste to a pan. Add sugar, use low heat to simmer the exceeded water out. Keep stirring. As the paste is heated and sugar is dissolved, the paste will become loose. Add rice syrup, continue stirring all around so that steam gets out and the paste thickens again. Continue cooking until water has evaporated. About 10 mins.
3. Turn off the heat, allow to cool down. Flatten paste and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
4. Combine the rice flour, sugar in a microwave safe mixing bowl. Add in water, mix until combined. . Put the bowl into a microwave, heat it up for 1 min.
5. Take the bowl out and stir the mixture with a heatproof spatula. Back into the microwave and heat it up for 1 min. Remove the bowl from the microwave.
6. Keep stirring with the heatproof spatula, back into the microwave and heat it up for 30 secs, add the dissolved supercolor powder keep stirring until it thickens and comes together into one smooth.
7. Flour work surface with cornstarch. Put the mochi on top (Put some starch on your hands to prevent sticking) Cut the mochi into 12 pieces. Flatten the mochi into a circle. (use more corn flour if needed).
8. Wrap the strawberries with bean paste.
9. Put some starch on hands. Then place flatten mochi dough and put the covered strawberry on top of it (with the tip facing down) Wrap it with pinching the bottom closed.