Purple Sweet Potato Swirl Rolled Scones
If this photo isn't captivatingly hypnotizing enough, one bite of these Purple Sweet Potato Swirl Rolled Scones will have you circling back for seconds and thirds! Super soft and tender, they are a great addition to the breakfast table, tea party, you name it! Whether you fall into the jam first vs butter first debate when it comes to scones, we can all agree that adding fun is always the answer! With Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Supercolor Powder add some creative coloring! Watch this super fun pastry come together in our recipe video!
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
⅓ cup sugar
1 tbsp Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Supercolor Powder
⅓ cup + 2 tbs very cold vegan butter
3 tbsp + 5 tbsp oat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F & line a baking tray with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt & sugar. Equally divide dry mixture into 2 separate bowls. Alternatively, place half of each dry ingredient in 1 bowl. Fold in Supercolor powder into 1 bowl.
2. Equally divide butter & add 1 half to each bowl. Using a fork or cutter, mix the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly in both bowls.
3. Pour 3 tbs of milk into the plain dough. Combine the mixture as much as possible with a fork & using your clean hands, knead the dough for a few seconds & form a dough ball. Set aside.
4. Start by pouring 3 tbsp of milk into the purple dough & if needed add up to 2 more tbs of milk. Follow the same steps as above & form a dough ball.
5. If the mixture is too wet, add some more flour. If the mixture is too dry, add some more milk.
6. If needed, dust some flour on a clean surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the plain dough out into a long oval.
7. Separately, lightly roll out the purple dough. Place the purple dough on top of the plain dough & roll again till the purple dough is ~ the same size as the plain dough.
8. Using your hands, roll the dough inwards starting from one end until completely rolled up. Gently press down the ends.
9. Cut the dough, width wise, into 8-10 equal pieces & bake for 18-20 minutes or until the scone is cooked through.