Blue Butterfly Spiral Chinese Steamed Buns Mantou
Something warm and filling? These Spiral Blue Butterfly Chinese Steamed Buns or Mantou (饅頭) are perfect for when you're on-the-go, whether to work or even just to take on a picnic! They are light, slightly sweet conveyors of all types of fillings. These buns are blank canvas for whatever you'd like to fill them with, something sweet, something savory, something spicy or a little bit of all the above. To our family, this is a basic staple and a big weakness for us! Soft and fluffy spiral mantou are favorites from kids to adult. They are fun to make with a super soft fluffy texture and pretty spiral patterns.
Recipe and photo by our brand ambassador Mei Yee. Check out her Instagram @nm_meiyee for more magnificent recipes!
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup plant-based milk
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
Flavour & coloring:
1 tsp Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder, dissolved in 1 tsp plant-based milk
1. In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients, add in oil and milk gradually, mix into a dough. Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
2. Divide dough into 2. Knead the plain dough until smooth, elastic, and shiny. Cover with kitchen towel to prevent it from drying out.
3. Add the dissolved butterfly pea mixture to the second portion of dough, knead until well incorporated, dough becomes smooth, elastic, and shiny.
4. Roll out the plain dough on parchment paper, roll out into thin flat rectangle. Set aside.
5. Roll out the butterfly pea flower dough on parchment paper, roll out into thin flat rectangle.
6. Gently stack the blue dough on top of the plain. Use a rolling pin to seal the two layers. Gently roll the dough into a log. Cut log into about 6 equal pieces and place them on parchment paper squares. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for 20 minutes.
7. Steam buns for 15 minutes on low heat. Serve warm. Enjoy!