Rainbow Sushi Donuts
Let's eat the rainbow! These super fun, one-of-a-kind Rainbow Sushi Donuts are great for an afternoon pick me up as a creative brunch or lunch! They are fun, packed with wonderful delightfulness, and will put a smile on anyone's face! Add all-wonderful rainbow colors with Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea, Ebony Carrot, and Velvet Red Beet Powders. This joyous and creative meal will definitely satisfy even the pickiest little eater. Add a little bit of magic and rainbows with our powders! Two fan favorite foods rolled into one! What's not to love?
100g beetroot, peeled and finely chopped
Water for boiling beetroot
155g carrots, peeled and finely chopped
55g famari (or soy sauce, non-GF option)
40g maple syrup
5g rice vinegar
½ tsp chili flakes (or to taste)
Sprinkle of dehydrated minced onions (or crispy onions)
115g x 3 sushi rice
¾ tsp Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Powder
1 tsp Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Powder
1¼ tsp Suncore Foods® Velvet Red Beet Powder
75g shaved cucumber or cucumber ribbons
1 avocado, thinly sliced
Sprinkle of sesame seeds
Equipment Needed: Donut molds
1. Prepare Filling — Boil chopped beetroot for 5-10 minutes until cooked through. Drain the water and set aside. Transfer chopped carrots, Tamari and maple syrup, rice vinegar and chilli flakes to a jar. Close the lid and shake the jar ensuring the carrots are well coated. Set aside while preparing the rice.
2. Prepare Rice — Follow package instructions and cook 115g of rice at a time. Before simmering, mix in 1 Suncore Foods® Powder (per 115g of rice). When ready, you should have 3 separate portions of cooked rice, one of each Supercolor. Allow rice to cool completely before assembling donuts.
3. Add cooked beetroot to the jar of carrots and shake again. Drain excess liquid and set aside beetroot-carrot mixture. Don’t discard the liquid, you can use it again as a dipping or cooking sauce.
4. Assemble Sushi Donuts — The goal is to fill half a donut cavity (height wise) using all three Suncore Foods® Powder rice options, working in thirds – Take a portion of any one Suncore Foods® Powder rice, size of the portion will depend on the size of the donut mold, start with 1-2 tbsp and add more if needed. Firmly press the rice down into a third of the donut cavity. Follow the same process for the other two rice options. This should fill half the mold, height wise using all 3 colors of rice.
5. Add 1-2 tbsp (or to preference) of the beetroot-carrot filling on top of the rice.
6. Following the same color pattern, close off the donut. Similar to step 4, take a portion of the matching Supercolor rice and place it over the filling. Follow the same process for the other two rice options.
7. Dip a spoon into some water and using the back of the spoon, firmly press down on the rice ensuring the donut is even, intact and tightly packed. Invert the donut onto a serving dish.
8. Follow steps 4 – 7 until all the rice and/or filling is used up.
9. Add Toppings — Place 1-2 cucumber ribbons and 1-2 slices of avocado on each donut. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve sushi donuts with dipping sauces of choice.