Life is about exploring pasta-bilities!Conquer the day and enjoy this delicious Rainbow Farfalle. Recreate this fun pattern and make your dinner extra special with our Suncore Foods® Cosmos Red Cabbage, Velvet Red Beet, and Vermillion Annatto Powders. Get a fork and dig in this goodness topped with a delightful brown butter lemon sauce. Pasta la vista! The Pasta-bility is endless!
18g olive oil
5g Suncore Foods® Cosmos Red Cabbage Powder
85g all-purpose flour
4g Suncore Foods® Velvet Red Beet Powder
85g all-purpose flour
3g Suncore Foods® Vermillion Annatto Powder
Pasta wheel cutter
Brown Butter Lemon Pasta:
Water and salt (for cooking pasta)
55g vegan butter
6-8 lemon slices
10 twists of freshly ground black pepper
175g pasta water
50-70 g grated vegan cheese (or parmesan to taste)
1. Purple dough: Place the flour on a clean work surface and create a well. Add olive oil and water into the well. Using a fork, gently start whisking the flour and liquid together, slowly incorporating the flour around the well. Once a sticky dough starts to form, use your hands and a bench scraper to bring the dough together and knead the dough for 5 minutes or until smooth and well combined. Form a dough ball or disc and wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for minimum 1 hour up to 24 hours.
2. Pink and orange doughs: Follow the same process and prepare the pink and orange doughs.
3. Roll purple dough: Starting with the purple dough, unwrap the dough and cut the dough into smaller, more manageable, portions. Work with one portion at a time, and keep the remaining portions wrapped in the plastic wrap. Using your hands, knead and flatten one portion and run it through the widest setting of the pasta roller. Dust some all-purpose flour on the dough as and when needed. Fold the dough and run it through the widest setting again. Repeat this process 2-3 times. After the last roll through the widest setting, reduce the thickness setting by one, and roll the sheet again. Continue this process and reduce the setting by one for each successive roll, ending at the thinnest or second thinnest setting until the desired thickness is achieved. Set the sheet aside on a flat work surface and cover with plastic wrap (not allowing the dough to dry out).
4. Roll pink and orange doughs: Follow step 3 and roll out the pink and orange doughs separately. Once the dough sheet is ready, run it through the fettuccine attachment. Once ready, dust the fettuccine with all-purpose flour.
5. Tip: If the dough breaks at any point, simply fold the dough and roll it again.
6. Form pattern: Remove the plastic wrap covering from the purple dough and using your fingertips, brush some water along the edges of the sheet. Place the pink and orange fettuccine in a crisscross or checkered pattern over the purple sheet and gently press down the edges ensuring the fettucine is attached to the purple sheet.
7. Final roll: Run the patterned sheet through the pasta roller again at the desired setting.
8. Cut and shape: Once the pattern is embedded and the pasta sheet is ready, dust some all-purpose flour on the sheet and cut and shape the pasta as desired (or run it through the fettuccine attachment). For farfalle, follow the next steps.
9. Farfalle: Using a pasta wheel cutter, cut the sheet into squares. Place your index finger in the centre of a pasta square and using your thumb, bring one edge of the square to the centre. Maintain the hold, use your middle finger and bring the opposite edge to the centre and gently press the ridge together so the pasta holds the shape.
10. Cook pasta: Add a generous amount of salt to a large pot of water (be generous with the salt!) and bring to boil. Add pasta to the boiling water and gently stir to separate the pasta. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until the pasta is almost cooked. Cooking time depends on the thickness of the pasta. The pasta will finish cooking once it’s mixed in with the brown butter lemon sauce. Once the pasta is ready, remove pasta from the pot using a slotted spoon and set aside some pasta water for the brown butter sauce.
11. Brown butter lemon sauce: While the water is boiling for the pasta, place a large pan on medium heat. Once hot, add butter and allow it to melt until bubbling. Gently stir the butter while cooking so it doesn’t stick to the sides of the pan. Add lemon slices and cook until the butter starts to brown. Add pasta water and cook until the sauce slightly thickens. Mix in cheese and stir until the sauce is creamy. Add pasta to the brown butter lemon sauce and cook while gently stirring until the pasta is cooked through. Use the lemon slices cooked in with the pasta as garnish.