Purple Sweet Potato Japanese Soft Buns
Looking for something light and fluffy? You're in the right place! Make room for these vegan-friendly, dairy-free and egg-free, chocolate chips Purple Sweet Potato Japanese Soft Buns. Perfect for breakfast or as a snack throughout the day. The soft purple color is from Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Powder that turned into a fluffy yummy superfuel dinner rolls, you can't beat that!
Make a 20cm (8") Square Pan
For the Yudane* (bread starter):
70ml hot water
70g bread flour
*Please not that Yudane should be made one day ahead (at least 4 hours earlier).
Yudane (should be 140g)
280g bread flour* (*strong, high gluten flour. Can be replaced with All purpose but will result in a less fluffy texture.)
2 1/2 tsp Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Supercolor Powder
4g instant yeast
25g (2 tbsp) light brown sugar
5g (1 tsp) Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
15g plant butter (stick, not margarine)/ butter, room temp
180 ml full fat soy milk, room temp
Add-ins: Mini chocolate chips
1. Make the Yudane (bread starter) — Place flour in a small bowl and pour hot water on it. Stir to combine to get a thick paste. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight (at least 4h, don't skip this step).
2. The next day, remove Yudane from fridge and let come to room temperature.
Add all the bread ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with hook attachment until just combined. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Mix on medium for 10-15 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
4. Shape into a ball and place into a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in size (1 hour-1.5 hours).
5. Deflate dough and divide into 9 equal portions.
6. Add 1 tsp of chocolate chips to each portion. Shape each part into a ball, cover and let rest on the counter for 15 min. Shape the balls again and place into the greased pan.
7. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 175C degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven, let cool down for 10 minutes into the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.