Lilac Taro Yam Sticky Rice
This classic mango sticky rice just got upgraded to an irresistible, heavenly and scrumptious twist—Lilac Taro Yam (Purple Sweet Potato) Mango Sticky Rice! Easy to make at home and o-so-YUMMY in both flavors and the dreamy purple hue using our Suncore Foods® Lilac Taro Yam Supercolor Powder. A spoonful of this will transport you to a tropical getaway!
Makes 4 servings
For the rice:
1 cup dry glutinous white rice
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
1.5 tbsp Suncore Foods® Lilac Taro Yam Supercolor Powder diluted in 1/3 cup room temperature water
2 large mangoes
Suncore Foods® Organic Toasted Coconut Chips for topping
1. Wash the rice 3-4 times to remove the starch or until the water is almost clear. Leave the rice to soak overnight. You can also opt to soak it for just 2 to 3 hours but it’ll take longer to steam.
2. Place the rice in a lined bamboo steamer. I used parchment paper to line mine. Spread the rice evenly and then steam for 25 minutes or until the rice is translucent and chewy!
3. While the rice is cooking, heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add in the coconut milk sugar, and salt. Stir the mixture and leave to simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
4. Meanwhile, mix together the taro yam powder and water in a small bowl until the powder has dissolved and you have a paste-like consistency.
5. Pour in the taro yam paste into the coconut milk mixture. Leave to simmer until the coconut milk mixture comes to a boil. When it boils, lower the heat. You can turn off the heat first if the rice is still not cooked through then just turn the heat back on later.
6. When the rice has finished steaming, remove the rice from the steamer and paper then transfer it into the coconut milk mixture. Cook down the rice over medium high heat and mix with the coconut milk until well incorporated. The rice will continue to cook, thicken, and absorb the liquid. Transfer the rice to a bowl and leave to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving with the the mangoes.
7. I topped the rice with some coconut sauce and toasted coconut chips along with the mangoes, of course! You can check out my step-by-step mango sticky rice recipe video over on my YouTube channel. Linked the video on my bio as well!