Green & Purple Butterhorn Rolls
Let the magic begin. Transform your dinner table with a touch of magic in these mouth-watering, heavenly delight buttery goodness and melt-in-your-mouth Green & Purple Butterhorn Rolls! Beautiful multicolor results using Suncore Foods® plant-based powders. Get your oven mitten ready! It's time to bake up a rainbow and be enchanted.
Makes 10 Rolls
180g warm oat milk
4g active dry yeast
110g melted butter
390g all-purpose flour
Melted butter for brushing
Stand mixer with dough hook attachment
1. Purple Dough — Place 90g warm oat milk, 20g sugar, and 2g yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer and set aside until frothy. Mix in 55g melted butter on low speed for 30 seconds. Mix in 3g salt, 195g flour, and 5g Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Powder on low speed (or at the mixer-recommended speed for dough) until the dough comes together and is no longer sticking to the walls of the bowl. Remove the dough and form a dough ball. Place the dough ball in a clean bowl, cover, and set aside.
2. Green Dough — Follow step 1 and prepare the green dough using Suncore Foods® Midori Jade Matcha Powder.
3. 1st Proof — From the time you cover the green dough, proof both doughs for 60-90 minutes.
4. Roll Purple Dough — Punch the air out of the purple dough and using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a large circle, about the size of a medium pizza. Brush melted butter over the dough and set aside.
5. Roll Green Dough — Similarly, punch the air out of the green dough and roll the dough into a large circle, approximately the same size as the purple dough.
6. Stack Doughs — Place the green dough over the purple dough. Using your hands, gently stretch the dough out around the edges to ensure both doughs are stacked evenly and are the same size. Using a rolling pin, gently roll the dough together, and using your fingertips, gently press the dough around the circumference sticking the edges together. Brush melted butter on the green dough. Place parchment paper on a baking tray and set aside.
7. Shape Dough — Cut the dough stack, like a pizza, into 10 triangles. Working with one slice at a time and starting from the long end, gently stretch the tips out and roll the dough inwards forming swirls with every completed rotation. Gently press the end tip of the triangle into the dough and place the roll on the prepared baking tray with the crease side facing down. Follow the same process and shape the remaining triangles. When placing the rolls on the baking tray, leave enough room in between the rolls, allowing them to rise.
8. 2nd Proof — Cover the rolls with a kitchen towel and set aside for 45-60 minutes.
9. Bake — When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 3500 F. Brush the rolls with melted butter and bake for 15-25 minutes on the middle rack. If the rolls are small, bake for 15-18 minutes. If the rolls are large, bake for 20-25 minutes. Once ready, the top of the rolls should be lightly crisp and should be golden brown on the bottom. The rolls should sound hollow when you tap on them.
10. Cool — Allow the rolls to cool on a wire rack to room temperature before serving.