Autumnal Baked Sweet Potato Yam Layer Cake
Every bite of the Baked Yam Custard is a delightful reminder of gentle warmer Autumn and the bright future ahead of us! Made with Suncore Foods® Autumnal Baked Sweet Potato Yam Powder, it’s easy to achieve this gorgeous flavor and happy hue. Take our word for it and try it yourself!
Make A 8-Inch Cake
290g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
20g Suncore Foods® Autumnal Baked Sweet Potato Yam Powder dissolved in 50g water
3/4 cup dairy free butter melted
2/3 cup (130g) sugar of choice
1/2 cup (125g) dairy free yogurt
1 cup (250g) dairy free milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
Baked Yam Custard:
600g coconut milk
30g Suncore Foods® Autumnal Baked Sweet Potato Yam Powder dissolved in 80g water
1/2 cup (100g) coconut sugar or sugar of choice
2 tsp agar agar powder
1. Make the Cake — In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and set aside. In a medium bowl cream together butter and sugar, add yogurt, baked yam and beat until smooth. Gently fold in dry the mixture, milk together with a spatula to incorporate.
2. Transfer batter to prepared 8x8 square cake pan. Tap gently against the counter to release air bubbles.
3. Bake at 175c for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove pan from the oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Invert cakes onto a rack with parchment paper and cool completely. Divide the cake into 3 even layers.
4. Baked Yam Custard — Add the coconut milk, sugar into a saucepan, bring up to a boil. Add agar powder and until dissolved, whisking constantly. Whisk in dissolved Suncore Foods® Autumnal Baked Sweet Potato Yam Powder and cook to simmer for 1 minute. Divide mixture into 3 equal portions.
5. Pour the first portion of baked yam custard into 8x8 cake pan. Place a piece of the cake over the custard layer, place it in the freezer for 5-10 mins to set. Pour the second portion of custard over the cake and repeat for the 2 layers. Transfer the cake to the fridge for at least 4 hours to set, or until it is firm enough to unmold.