Velvety Red Beet Lucky Bag Cake
While this luscious & velvety Red Beet Lucky Bag Cake is absolutely perfect for the Lunar New Year celebration, it would be equally wonderful for any number of other special occasions. The vibrant radiant red is achieved by Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder! Pillowy soft sponge cake wrapped with crepes will melt in your mouth with all the luck in 2021. Take this lucky bag on the go to taste the super creamy whipped cream and evenly coated jam inside.
For the Cake:
2/3 cup cake flour
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2.5 tbsp milk
2.5 tbsp butter
Red Beet Crepes:
2 medium eggs
2.5 tbsp / 35g butter (melted)
1 cup / 250g whole milk
0.5 cup / 100g cake flour
2 tbsp / 20g sugar
0.5 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
¼ cup jam
1. Cake — Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, add milk and butter. Set aside. In a large bowl, add eggs, vanilla, honey and coconut sugar, and whisk to mix well. Place the bowl over a pot of hot water; keep stirring until the temperature increases to 105F. Remove the bowl from the hot water. Place the milk bowl over the hot water to melt the butter. In the meanwhile, use an electric whisk to whisk the eggs until pale in color and fall in ribbons when the whisk is lifted. Sift flour into the bowl, and gently fold until well combined. Remove the milk bowl from the hot water; add a little batter to the milk bowl and mix well. And then take the milk mixture and pour back to the batter, using a spatula, gently fold until well combined. Transfer the batter to a 6-in cake mold, bake for 35 minutes. Carefully remove cake from the pan and cool it on a wire rack. Use a circular mold to cut the cakes and set aside.
2. Crepes & Red Beet Filling — Sift flour in a big bowl. Whisk eggs until egg whites disappear. Add sugar and mix well. Sift in flour, Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder the gradually add milk, and mix well. Add butter and mix well. Sift twice the batter. Heat a nonstick skillet (about 8-in) to medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter and swirling the skillet as you add the batter to evenly coat the bottom of the pan. Cook the crepe begins to gently bubble; then flip and cook another 10 seconds. Transfer the crepe to a plate and repeat until all batter is used.
3. Then in a big bowl, whip the cream and sugar until soft peak forms.
4. Place one piece of crepe on a working board and a piece circular cake in the middle. Spread 1 Tbsp whipped cream evenly on the cake and then place 1 tsp jam in the middle. Cover with another circular cake.
5. Gently take the crepe edge and tie it with a ribbon.
6. Decorate with fruits on top to serve.