Purple Sweet Potato Challah Bread
Rise and shine! Begin your day with this gorgeous, romantic Purple Sweet Potato Challah Bread. With a touch of sweetness, this dreamy bread is great for toasting or just sliced and buttered. We use Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato & Ebony Carrot Powders to achieve this delightful sweet lilac hue. This bread is as pleasing to look at as to taste. It will be a show stopper for your next gathering. Let's put your braiding skills to good use and impress your guest with this stunning recipe. Have fun and eat well.
360g bread flour
160g room temperature water
30g vegetable oil
30g sugar of choice
5g active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Suncore Foods® Purple Sweet Potato Powder + dissolved in 4 tsp water
1 1/2 tsp Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Powder + dissolved in 4 tsp water
1. In a stand mixer, combine all ingredients. Cover and let sit for 20 mins. Then turn on the mixer low-medium speed with the hook attachment until the dough comes together, about 10-12 mins. Smooth the dough. Cover and let let proof for 1 hour until doubled in size.
2. Transfer the dough to a working surface and divide into 10 portions by weight. Roll each portion out flat, then roll it up tightly. Roll each of the portions into a long rope. Dip 5 rolls in water and roll in sesame seeds.
3. To make the braid, pinch the ends of 5 strands of dough (plain and sesame) together at one end.
4. Cross strand 2 over strand 3.
5. Cross strand 5 over strand 2.
6. Cross strand 1 over strand 3.
7. Repeat until you get to the end of the strands. Pinch all loose ends together.
8. Transfer to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cover and let it rest for 1 hour. Brush dough with coconut oil. Bake at 180 C preheated oven for 30 minutes.