Blue Butterfly Wool Roll Bread
A delicious pull-apart bread that is beautifully, uniquely shaped, and as delicious as it looks! One of the best and easiest simple bread recipes to make and now with the love of Suncore Foods® Powders, you can add all the colors in the rainbow in this totally instagrammable, tasty, soft & fluffy wool roll bread recipe. Follow the awe-inspring recipe video on our instagram feed to create your own roll & enjoy!
120ml lukewarm milk
6g instant yeast
300g bread flour
1 large egg
14g dry milk powder
56g melted butter
3-5 tsp Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Powder dissolved in 1 tsp water
1. Split recipe in half, and add dissolved Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Powder to one bowl to create blue dough. I found it best to knead regular dough by hand, and blue dough in a stand mixer to save time.
2. Combine warm milk, yeast, and about 5g sugar into a measuring cup or bowl. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to activate the yeast. Generously grease all sides and line an 8” or 9” round pan with removable bottom, or springform pan.
2. Gather flour, salt, remaining sugar, dry milk powder, melted butter, and yeast mixture together in a bowl. Knead by hand or stand mixer with a hook attachment until smooth, about 8-10 minutes. Shape doughs into balls, and let rise in greased bowls for 1-1 1/2 hours until they doubled in size.
4. Punch out doughs and transfer onto a work surface. Using a bench scraper, slice each dough into 5 equal wedges (10 in total). Form them back into balls, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 15 minutes.
5. Roll out regular dough into an oblong shape, about 9 inches long. Do the same with blue dough and line up on top the regular dough. Mark a faint line at the 6-inch mark. Using your bench scraper, create thin equal lengthwise cuts about 1/8 inch apart all the way across. When finished, 2/3 of dough from the top will have many cut strands, while the bottom 1/3 will remain unsliced. Be sure to keep all dough you’re not working with covered to prevent them from drying.
6. If you choose to add a filling, add it on top of the unsliced bottom portion. Start to roll up the dough tightly to form the “wool roll”, tucking in the sides as you go until you reach the top of the stranded end. Transfer the roll to the prepared pan, making sure strands are nicely tucked underneath. Repeat with all remaining dough balls, and form a ring inside the pan with all 5 rolls.
7. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
8. Brush the bread surface lightly with warm milk and bake until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan. Remove and transfer to wire rack to cool completely, admire your bread as you tear off a roll, and ENJOY!