Blue Butterfly Pea Shokupan
Looking to add some colors at the breakfast table? We got just the recipe for you to go round and round then always come back for more! This soft & fluffy Blue Butterfly Pea Shokupan loaf has swept off of our feet with its fantastic swirl, and the stunning bold swirl of hypnotic blue is achieved by using Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder. If you incorporate acidity in your , it will transforms the bread into a rich royal violet color. No extra taste. Just so much fun to eat.
For a 20 cm Pan
For the Starter:
25g (2 1/2 tbsp) bread flour
120 ml (1/2 cup) water
For the Main Dough:
350g bread flour
9g (2.5 tsp) instant yeast
65g (1/3 cup) light brown sugar
2.5g (1/2 tsp) Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
50g (1/4 cup) butter/ vegan butter
1 tsp Suncore Foods® Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder + 1 tsp water
1. Make the starter (tang zhong): in a small saucepan, whisk water and flour and heat over medium heat whisking continuously until it starts to thicken. When it has a curd-like consistency, remove from heat, pour into a bowl and cover. Let cool down completely before using.
2. Make the dough: add flour, yeast, sugar and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine. Add starter, softened butter and warm milk and knead with hook attachment until just combined. Cover and let rest for 10-15 min. Knead on medium until smooth and elastic (about 10 min).
3. Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Place one half into a greased bowl and cover.
4. Combine butterfly pea powder and water to make a paste and add to the remaining dough. Knead until combined. Place into a greased bowl and cover. Let rise the doughs until doubled in size (1h-1h 30).
5. Deflate dough and roll out into 20x50 cm rectangles. Place the blue dough over the plain dough. Roll dough into a log and place into the greased pan.
6. Cover and let rise until doubled in size (about 1h).
7. Preheat oven to 175C degrees and bake for 20-25 min.
8. Let cool down in the pan for 10 min then transfer over a cooling rack.