Aqua Blue Cream Sponge Cake
This is the cake of our daydreams! If you ever catch us with our heads in the clouds, you can bet that this adorable Aqua Blue Cream Sponge Cake is on our mind. This is a cake you're going to want to perfect and turn to whenever an emergency cake situation arises. Straight down to basics to achieve simple perfection, this recipe will never disappoint and can be transformed into what your imagination can dream up! Suncore Foods® Aqua Blue Spirulina mixed into a failsafe buttercream frosting transports this cake to the sky with tufts of buttercream clouds and all!
3/4 cup cake flour (sieved twice)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp honey
2 1/2 tbsp milk
2 1/2 tbsp butter
6-in cake pan
2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp Suncore Foods® Aqua Blue Spirulina Supercolor Powder
1/3 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, add butter and microwave 15 seconds until completed melted. Then add milk, whisk to mix well. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, add eggs, vanilla, honey and sugar, and whisk to mix well. Place the bowl over a pot of hot water; keep stirring until the temperature increases to 105F.
3. Remove the bowl from the hot water and place the butter bowl from step 1 over the hot water to keep it warm.
4. In the meanwhile, use an electric whisk to whisk the eggs until pale in color and fall in ribbons when the whisk is lifted. Add the flour into the bowl, and gently fold until well combined. Remove the butter bowl from the hot water; add a little batter to the milk bowl and mix well. And then take the milk mixture and pour back to the batter. Using a spatula, gently fold until well combined.
5. Transfer the batter to an 6-in cake mold, bake for 50 ~55 minutes. Carefully remove cake from the pan and cool it on a wire rack.
6. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat 1-cup heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks form.
7. To assemble: Place first cake on serving tray and spread top with 1/3 cup whipped cream. Follow the same process for the rest two layers.
8. To make purple decorate cream, in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat 1-cup heavy cream, sugar and Aqua Blue Spirulina Powder until soft peaks form.