Colorful Chic Lattice Apple Pie
Apple pie is an American classic, but the cravings hit harder and the apples are fresher around the Fall. And to elevate this tried and true dessert, let's decorate it with vibrant colors that match the beautiful color of apples and an ultra chic lattice pattern! With Suncore Foods® Red Beet and Yellow Goldenberry Powders, this Colorful Lattice Pie is as eye-catching and intricate as an accent piece! Creating and mixing the colors for this is astonishing design is definitely worth the effort, just look at it!
Red Portion of the Dough :
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
1 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
5 tbsp cold water
2 tbsp of Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder
Yellow Portion of the Dough:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
1 tsp sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 tbsp of Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder & Suncore Foods® Yellow Goldenberry Powder
3 tbsp cold water
For the Filling:
5-6 medium apples
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 tbsp of cinnamon
1. Dissolve Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder in 5 tbsp of water. In a bowl of a stand mixer combine the flour, sugar, and salt until incorporated. Add cold butter and mix until crumbly. Add Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder mixture and blend. The dough should be beginning clamp together. If not, add more water. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Dissolve Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder & Suncore Foods® Yellow Goldenberry Powder in water. In a bowl of a stand mixer combine flour, sugar, and salt until incorporated. Add cold butter and mix until crumbly. Add Suncore Foods® Red Beet Powder & Suncore Foods® Yellow Goldenberry Powder mixture and blend.The dough should be beginning clamp together. If not add more water. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. To make the filling, add all of the filling ingredients in a bowl and toss together to coat apples evenly. Set aside.
4. Take Red refrigerated dough and divide into 2 halves. Roll out the first half into 3 mm thick discs to be slightly larger than your pie pan. Carefully transfer onto the pie plate. Fill the pie crust with the filling. Roll out the second portion of red dough and yellow dough into 3mm thick discs. Using pizza cutter to slice both yellow and red discs into stripes. Recommend to assemble the lattice on a piece of a parchment paper for a neater look. Create a lattice pattern using the colorful strips on the parchment paper. Don’t hesitate to pop the dough in and out of the fridge as needed because it should never feel too soft. Freeze it for 10-15 minutes before transferring onto the pie.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F. In the meantime, brush the sides of the pie crust with egg wash and place the lattice over the filling. Press the edges slightly to seal up the edges. Trim the edges of the pie with scissors or a knife.Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350F. If the pie lattice is browning to fast , cover it loosely with foil to avoid over-browning. Let it cool before serving!