Midori Jade Matcha Asian Marbled Bread
Delectable and dreamy, with its rich green tea swirl, this recipe was born out of a dream. We can't get over how pleasant delicious this light & fluffy, pull-apart Matcha Swirl Japanese Milk Bread is with the perfect amount of light and fluffy that just satisfies your taste buds accompanies that cup of coffee or tea. Not only does this taste great but our matcha is packed with goodness, there isn't a reason not to make this in time for your breakfast!
For the tangzhong / water roux:
45g bread flour
240 ml (1 cup) water
For the dough:
440g bread flour
2g instant yeast
30g light brown sugar
1/2 tsp (3.5g) Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
45 ml full fat soy milk, room temp
100 ml water
30g vegan butter, room temp
4g (1/2 tbsp) Suncore Foods® Premium Midori Jade Matcha Supercolor Powder
To brush: melted vegan butter
1. Make the tangzhong/ water roux — Whisk water and flour in a small pan. Cook on medium heat until the mixture starts to thicken. Let cool down completely before using.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer whisk dry ingredients except matcha powder. Add water, milk and tangzhong and knead until just combined. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 5 min.
3. Add butter and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
4. Divide dough into 1/3 and 2/3 portions.
5. Shape the 2/3 piece into a ball and place into a greased bowl. Cover and set aside.
6. Add matcha powder to the 1/3 dough and knead to combine. Cover and let rest until doubled in size (1h- 1h30).
7. Roll out plain dough into a 20x30cm rectangle.
8. Roll out cacao dough into a 20x15cm rectangle.
9. Place cacao dough over one half of plain dough and fold the remaining plain dough over. Roll out to into a 20x30 cm rectangle again. Cut dough cross wise and stack the two doughs. Roll out to combine. Repeat two more times.
10. Cut dough into 3 equal stripes, lengthwise.
11. Roll out each stripe into a rope and braid the 3 ropes together. Fold ends under so that the bread fits the pan. Let rise for 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours.
12. Preheat oven to 175C degrees and bake for 25 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Let cool down into the pan for 15 min then cool completely on a rack.