Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Ebony Carrot Buttercream Frosting
Happiness starts with a slice of this delicious Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Ebony Carrot Buttercream Frosting. Serve this truly stunning and moist cake at your next gathering, and your guests will be begging you for the recipe. It's loaded with poppy seeds for that delightful crunch and a hint of lemon, enrobed in a rich, deeply romantic, CREAMY buttercream frosting. Delicious! Recreate this dreamy cake with Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Supercolor Powder and add some color to your table. Eat, sleep and stay happy.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
4 large eggs (room temperature)
3/4 cup olive oil
1 cup sour cream/yogurt (room temperature)
1 cup unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
4.5 cups confectioners sugar
1 tbsp or 2 tbsp heavy cream depending on the consistency
A generous pinch Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
4 tsp Suncore Foods® Ebony Carrot Supercolor Powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Line and Butter a 10” cake pan.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt).
4. Beat the oil and sugar and lemon zest well for a min. Then add in one egg at a time and beat until it’s light and fluffy for 3 mins.
5. Add in the vanilla extract and beat till it’s well incorporated.
6. Add the dry ingredients and beat well on low. Fold in the sour cream, blood orange juice, and zest. Beat till it’s all mixed.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-45 mins till done or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Once the cake is done, let it rest in the pan for 5 mins and then invert it onto the wire rack to cool off completely.
9. For the buttercream, beat the butter for 2 mins. Then add the other ingredients listed under buttercream and beat for 1 to 2 mins until fluffy. Then add the ebony carrot superfood color and beat well till the color is well incorporated. Frost as desired.