Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad
Season's Eatings! Our stomachs are rumbling in anticipation of the feast of all feasts! If you're excited for tonight's dinner as we are, you may have already have a side dish to bring to the table. If not, fret not! This Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad is a cinch and can be tossed and ready to go in a pinch! Peppery arugula, sweet-tart cranberries, creamy butternut squash, and Suncore Foods® Rainbow Quinoa Seeds come together to make a superstar salad that may or may not steal the shine from the sweet potato casserole or mashed taters. This bowl of delicious goodness is so versatile, that it pairs with just about any main dish and is even great on its own! Today is a day to be thankful for what makes our lives beautiful, so let's celebrate full hearts and full stomachs!
2 lb. butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large red onion peeled and diced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
3 cups uncooked Suncore Foods® Rainbow Quinoa Seeds
1/2 cup reduced-sugar dried cranberries
1/2 cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 cups chopped fresh parsley or baby spinach
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 425 F Degrees.
2. Place the butternut squash & red onion in the center of a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss to evenly coat, then spread the squash into a single layer. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once, until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
3. While the squash is baking, bring the broth (or water) and Suncore Foods® Rainbow Quinoa Seeds to a boil in a medium pan. If you are using water, add 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let stand with the lid on for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then transfer to a large serving bowl.
4. To Make the Vinaigrette – Whisk all the ingredients together.
5. To Assemble – Place the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl. Drizzle it with the salad dressing. Give it a gentle toss. Top it off with the cranberries and walnuts. Toss to serve. Enjoy!