Blue Butterfly Pea Steamed Layer Cake
Even these cakes can wear colorful stripes! These Blue Butterfly Pea Layer Cakes are steamed to perfection, making them soft and springy! Added Suncore Foods® Butterfly Pea Flower Superbloom to create these gorgeous baby blue layers and blue sky vibes. These layers are sooo mesmerizing!
Recipe and photo by our brand ambassador Mei Yee. Check out her Instagram @nm_meiyee for more magnificent recipes!
1 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups coconut milk
3 pandan leaves, knotted
3/4 cup sugar of choice
1/2 tsp Suncore Foods® Rose Salt
2 cups tapioca flour
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup regular flour
2 tsp Suncore Foods® Butterfly Pea Flowers for the colour (Dissolved in 2 tsp water)
1. In a large pot combine water, coconut milk, sugar, salt and pandan leaves together till sugar dissolved. Turn off heat, allow mixture to cool completely.
2. In a mixing bowl mix together tapioca flour, rice flour and regular flour. Set aside.
3. Discard pandan leaves from the coconut milk mixture. Gradually add coconut mixture into the dry mixture with a hand whisk. Whisk until smooth and combine. Then strain mixture through a sieve.
4. Divide mixture in two equal portions, add dissolved butterfly pea flower powder into one portion, keeping one portion white.
5. Line a cake pan with parchment paper. (Kuih lapis do stick, I use parchment instead of greasing the pan with oil. Found it easier to remove the cake from the pan with parchment.) then place it in the steamer.
6. Use same size measuring cups to spoon the mixtures (to get the even layers).
7. Start with blue color, then white and blue. Pour 1/2 cup (depending on the pan you use) blue batter into the pan. Steam for 5 minutes. Then pour in white layer and steam for 5 minutes. Repeat this sequence until you get 9 layers. Lastly, steam for 15 minutes. Let it cool for at least 4 hours before slicing. Use an oiled knife to slice cake and enjoy!