Cherish today and chase the rainbow! Have a plate of this joyful Rainbow Gnocchi, then go on and conquer the day. Sitting down your little one for a hot meal can be a chore, but this beautiful dish will have them come running to the dinner table. Let's get creative, and color your rainbow with Suncore Foods® Supercolor Powders. Dinner is served, enjoy these yummy, joyous Butter Thyme & Mushroom Gnocchi. Bring out your inner kid with this delicious dish. You have the Gnocchi to our hearts!
1 kg potatoes
40g x 6 gluten-free 1-to-1 flour
Tapioca flour for dusting
2g Suncore Foods® Cosmos Red Cabbage Supercolor Powder
¼ tsp Suncore Foods® Aqua Blue Spirulina Supercolor Powder
2g Suncore Foods® Canary Yellow Safflower Superoclor Powder
3g Suncore Foods® Velvet Red Beet Supercolor Powder
2g Suncore Foods® Premium Midori Jade Matcha Supercolor Powder
12g olive oil (2-3 g to be used with each Supercolor Powder)
Butter Thyme & Mushroom Gnocchi Ingredients:
300g rainbow gnocchi
30 - 40g dairy-free butter
2 - 3 garlic cloves, chopped
4 sprigs of fresh thyme (stems removed or broken into smaller pieces)
100g chopped mushrooms
2g Suncore Foods® Rose Salt (or to taste)
Garnish: fresh thyme or parsley, cheese of choice and freshly ground black pepper
1. Rainbow Gnocchi — Peel and boil potatoes until cooked through and fork tender. Drain the water and mash potatoes. You should have approximately 785 g of mashed potatoes. Separate mashed potatoes into 6 portions of approximately 130 g each. Work with 1 portion at a time. Once all the potatoes are used, you should have 6 colors of gnocchi: Purple, blue, yellow, pink, green and the natural dough color. Generously dust a work surface with tapioca flour. Combine 130 g of mashed potatoes with 40 g of 1-to-1 flour and form a dough. Create a small well in the dough. Dissolve 1 Supercolor Powder into 2 g of olive oil and create a thick almost-paste-like solution. Add the solution to the well and knead the paste into the dough and form a small dough log. While kneading dust your hands or the surface with tapioca flour or if the dough is too sticky, add some 1-to-1 flour to the dough, 1 tbs at a time. Cut the dough log into 3 portions. Create a rope using 1 portion, approximately 8-9” in length. Cut small pieces along the dough rope of approximately ¼ - ½” in length. Use the small pieces as they are or roll each piece down a fork to create ridges. Follow steps 3-5 for the remaining Supercolor Powders. And follow steps 3 and 5 (not 4) for the non-colored dough.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
3. While the water is heating up, place a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add butter and spread it around evenly. Add garlic, thyme, mushrooms and salt and cook until the mushrooms are cooked through.
4. Add 300 g of gnocchi to the pot of hot water. Very gently stir the gnocchi so it doesn’t stick together. Cook until the gnocchi floats to the surface. Once at the surface, count to 10 and very gently strain the gnocchi, preferably using a strainer spoon. Save 1-2 tbs of pasta water.
5. Transfer gnocchi along with a little bit of pasta water to the pan and gently mix it in. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the gnocchi is very lightly browning on one side. Gently shake the pan once or twice while cooking.
6. Garnish with fresh thyme or parsley, cheese of choice and freshly ground black pepper before serving.